This post may include affiliate links. View the full disclosure here.
Achy? Stuffy head? Sore throat? Cold care tea is the perfect tea for a cold! Honey, ginger and lemon will soothe you almost instantly when you have a cold or the flu. There is a coffee shop in my old town that makes Cold Care Tea. So, I decided I needed to figure out how to recreate it myself!
One of the worst parts about having a cold or the flu is being cold! I, personally, can’t stand being cold. Good news! The ginger will warm you right up. The lemon and the ginger will help clear out your sinuses and the honey will soothe your poor throat.
Since you’re feeling crappy, I suggest making more than one cup at a time to minimize the time you need to be on your feet- the tea reheats nicely.
Cold Care Tea Recipe
- 1-inch fresh ginger root (no need to peel)
- 1 cup water (boiling)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Grate the ginger with a Microplane Zester into a tea steeper, teapot or if you have the Pampered Chef Cold Brew Pitcher you can use that as well (put the ginger into the coffee grounds filter. The tea one will not be fine enough to hold it in.)!
- Pour 1 cup of boiling water over the ginger and let it steep for 3 minutes.
- In your mug, put the lemon juice and honey in. (Take a nice big whiff, too. It smells ah-mazing…presuming you’re not totally stuffed up.)
- Pour the hot, steeped water into your mug, making sure that the ginger doesn’t come out.
- Stir to dissolve the honey. Add more honey or lemon to taste.
- Sip and enjoy the best tea for a cold!
For most culinary uses, you really want to peel the ginger. But there’s no real reason to do so here since we aren’t ingesting it. We just want the flavor! It does need to be grated for the flavor to come out though. However, if you’re dying and really just want to lay back down, you can slice it into rings or sticks to extract the flavor.
Feeling a little spicy? Add a dash of cinnamon, nutmeg or cardamom at the end to warm it up!
Is it bedtime? I won’t fault you for adding a shot of whiskey, bourbon, scotch or run to your mug.
Looking for a summertime tea? Try my Easy Blueberry Tea recipe! These Rockcrok Recipes are also a great solution for feeding your family when you can barely function yourself.
Share with us your surefire tips for beating that terrible cold/flu!